Sunday, July 3, 2011

The BC Review: The Trip

I'm sorry to report that my life has become increasingly busy these last couple of months and as a result my film watching (and reviewing for that matter!) has suffered.

Until last Friday evening when my husband so pleasantly surprised me with a "date night" trip downtown to catch one of my beloved Indie flicks, the last movie I caught was back in April and well, it was Scream 4. Yes, you read that correctly, I spent good money to catch the fourth installation of the 1990s era horror sensation and well, actually it wasn't terrible. Certainly not Bee Charmer Review worthy, but if you are a fan of the slasher series, you'll likely enjoy it.

In any case, if you're wondering why the title of this post makes no reference to Wes Craven, I will tell you (probably to the delight of most) that I am not reviewing Scream 4, and instead will compose my thoughts on that Indie film I mentioned, pleasantly and appropriately titled, The Trip.

The Trip, starring British actor Steven Coogan (you may recognize him from The Good Guys) and Welsh funny man Rob Brydon, is the delightful tale of two friends who set off on a week's road trip throughout the picturesque northern country side of England, tasting gourmet food and wine (yes, I realize the oddity of this - British cuisine not always associated with the description "gourmet" but surprisingly some of the dishes do in fact look delicious), sleeping in quaint and sometimes famous inns (one locale the basis for Bronte's Wuthering Heights) and well - just enjoying themselves along the way.

And that certainly goes for us too - this riproarious comedy depends on these two friends, one-Coogan- a womanizing, not entirely unattractive in that Englishman with long hair and awkward speech, struggling to find that one break out acting role that will bring his career to new heights and his funnyman friend Rob (Brydon) who's pleasantly content with his young wife and baby at home and his positively expert impersonations, the likes of which include Al Pacino, Michael Caine, Billy Connelly, and Hugh Grant.

And the impersonations - let me just say, these are what make the film. As we follow these two on their journey (true, there is a bit of a more serious underlying story of Coogan trying to find meaning in his life), but it is the constant dueling of two that will start you and keep you rolling in the aisles. My favorites including the battle"this is how Michael Caine speaks" wherein each believes his impression reigns supreme (and it is truely difficult to say which one best characterizes the famed British actor) and Brydon's "small man in a box" (if you have the time, check out these two segments posted on Youtube).

Overall, a light and enjoyable film that may end in you standing in front of the mirror making your own effort to impersonate the best of the best!

The Trip is recommended for those inclined for a good laugh and all lovers of food!

The BC Review Rating - B+